Jericho is a paradise in the midst of a barren land. The oasis lying just north of the Dead Sea is a refreshing sight for desert-sore eyes. The sturdy palm trees are in bountiful supply throughout city of Jericho. We first overlooked the Judean wilderness just off of the Ascent of Addumin, allowing us to view the vast sun-scorched senonian limestone hills. I was reminded that as a child I assumed limestone was green; it is an honest presupposition - limes are green. But this land was a pale stone color. The monasteries in the land enticed me, giving me a desire to seek dependence on the Lord as they were forced to have. I was astonished at the beauty of the oasis in the Wadi Qilt as we arrived in Jericho. As we considered the strategic location of the city in accordance with the rest of Canaan and the trade routes, it was apparent that Jericho was an essential part to the militaristic, political, and economical good of the Israelites.
(Jericho)
Traveling across the Benjamin Plateau to Nebi Samwill furthered my understanding of the intrinsic importance of that part of Israel. Jericho was a backdoor to the land of Benjamin and the city of Jerusalem, but more importantly, it was a back door to the entire Canaanite land. If the Israelites had gone up from the south into the Promised Land, they would have faced (literally) numerous cities. This attack on Jericho was ingenious, allowing the Israelites access to Ai and the following conquered cities.
Nebi Samwill allowed for a view of this infamous plateau. Mizpah, Ramah, Gibeah, and Gibeon were all accessible in our line of vision, as well as Jerusalem and surrounding major cities. The Sorek wadi system hooked its tentacles around the site and aided in the distinctive shape of the land. When we went over the story of Joshua’s conquest, I was captivated by the utter importance of the plateau. It truly was on of the key locations throughout the entire land of Canaan, though we were sternly reminded that the Jezreel Valley was the most important crossroads in the land.
Traveling across the Benjamin Plateau to Nebi Samwill furthered my understanding of the intrinsic importance of that part of Israel. Jericho was a backdoor to the land of Benjamin and the city of Jerusalem, but more importantly, it was a back door to the entire Canaanite land. If the Israelites had gone up from the south into the Promised Land, they would have faced (literally) numerous cities. This attack on Jericho was ingenious, allowing the Israelites access to Ai and the following conquered cities.
Nebi Samwill allowed for a view of this infamous plateau. Mizpah, Ramah, Gibeah, and Gibeon were all accessible in our line of vision, as well as Jerusalem and surrounding major cities. The Sorek wadi system hooked its tentacles around the site and aided in the distinctive shape of the land. When we went over the story of Joshua’s conquest, I was captivated by the utter importance of the plateau. It truly was on of the key locations throughout the entire land of Canaan, though we were sternly reminded that the Jezreel Valley was the most important crossroads in the land.
We journeyed onward to Gezer, a name which I am guilty of frequently mispronouncing geezer. The old man, rather, the old land is refreshing to just about every sense that I have. The sight, the smell, the touch, and sound were all so wonderful after being through such desolate land as the Judean wilderness. If the pear cacti would have had fruits, I would also be able to include taste in the senses blessed by the splendor of the land. For the first time since I arrived in Israel, I saw a land absolutely covered in green. Reflecting on this, the Israelites must have been overjoyed as they approached the fertile and well-nourished land. I thought Jericho was paradise before we came to Gezer.
I thoroughly enjoyed putting into perspective the benefits of Solomon’s actions in gain of land/wife in 1 Kings 9. Egypt was sore and desperate, slowly making progress to regaining their imperial strength, while Israel had become a prominent power in the land. Gezer being a gateway to the imperial highway and the Mediterranean was a great gain for Solomon. As I review my notes right now, I realize that the other two cities mentioned, Hazor and Megiddo, are extraordinarily important to the entire Land Between. It was truly a defining moment in the history of Israel.
No comments:
Post a Comment