I sit here in the Library, gazing over the Hinnom Valley onto the Water Shed Ridge. The sky is absolutely beautiful right now, though as I am learning, weather is terribly unpredictable. Yesterday around 1:00 p.m. I was outside with shorts and a short sleeve shirt juggling a soccerball around with J.E. Two hours later, as we began our walk around the city, I had a thick, fleece hoodie on with long pants and a hat and I felt underdressed. I think there was a 20 degree drop in temperature within those two hours. Apparently, it will be snowing tomorrow night, hopefully putting a good amount of snow on the ground. The streets are moderately busy right now, but not like it can be. The drivers around here seem to have less regard for you than in American cities. Not so much out of sheer disregard to your safety, but more to the fact that you should know to get the heck out of the way when a vehicle is charging at you. I think its kind of amusing. Horns are also a favorite resource around here. I know that for me, a horn shows some sort of anger, but here, it is just a warning that you will be hit if you do not move. 
As some of you know, the military in Israel is pretty intense. But as some of you don't know, they flaunt it with their casual machine guns being carried throughout the city. Should I feel more secure or threatened? haha. I feel more secure actually. Somebody messes around, they get shot real quick... repeatedly and thoroughly.
Street shops are freaking amazing. You walk down the Old City streets finding everything from tourist shops to meat and produce shops. All of the goods that you need are not in Shoprite and Walmart, but at local venders who will bargain prices. Meat hangs from hooks descending from the ceiling right out in the open.
As you can see, bones, almost entire body, still in tact. I saw one of the most disturbing things of my life on one display table: a pleasent array of tongues of some sort, jaw still attached. I'm not a fan of making out with animals, so tongues will not be on my "to eat" list... especially while they are still connected to a jaw.
Did I mention earlier that I was boozin' on the plane? Hey, they had free wine, and Craig and I wanted to try it. I've got to say, "boozin'" would not be the word for that crap. It was more along the lines of "inducing nausea." I hate the taste of alcohol, thank God. Anyway, I'm going to start doing some homework and read up on some stuff. I love and miss you all.
As some of you know, the military in Israel is pretty intense. But as some of you don't know, they flaunt it with their casual machine guns being carried throughout the city. Should I feel more secure or threatened? haha. I feel more secure actually. Somebody messes around, they get shot real quick... repeatedly and thoroughly.
Street shops are freaking amazing. You walk down the Old City streets finding everything from tourist shops to meat and produce shops. All of the goods that you need are not in Shoprite and Walmart, but at local venders who will bargain prices. Meat hangs from hooks descending from the ceiling right out in the open.
Did I mention earlier that I was boozin' on the plane? Hey, they had free wine, and Craig and I wanted to try it. I've got to say, "boozin'" would not be the word for that crap. It was more along the lines of "inducing nausea." I hate the taste of alcohol, thank God. Anyway, I'm going to start doing some homework and read up on some stuff. I love and miss you all.
1 comment:
Very cool! What a great experience! I like the pictures
Post a Comment